Another Futile Ostentation
A narcissistic outlet to express my opinions on things that matter little in the grand scheme. Meant as a companion piece to the other blog I post to, but whose readers may not have the desire to hear my thoughts on such matters as music, sports, and philosophy.
Saturday, January 15, 2011
I like American pickers more than I should.
Thursday, May 04, 2006
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
All and all a great year for music. So much so that I can make a top 50 list! So here it is:
1) Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
2) M.I.A. - Arular
3) The Decemberists - Picaresque
4) Jason Collett - Idols & Exile
5) Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust
6) The New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
7) Lady Soveriegn - Vertically Challenged
8) Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
9) Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
10) Leeroy Stagger
11) The Most Serene Republic
12) Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil
13) 13 & God - 13 & God
14) Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
16) LCD Soundsystem - s/t
17) Jamie Lidell - Multiply
18) Deerhoof - The Runners Four
19) Dungen - Ta Det Lungt
20) Clor - Clor
21) Serena Maneesh - s/t
22) Caribou - The Milk Of Human Kindness
23) Dangerdoom - The Mouse And The Mask
24) Various Artists - Run the Road
25) Bun B - Trill
26) Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
27) Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
28) The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
29) The American Analog Set - Set Free
30) Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth
31) Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock & Roll
32) My Morning Jacket - "Z"
33) Annie - Annimal
34) Alkaline Trio - Crimson
35) Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
36) Aesop Rock - Fast Cars, Danger, Fire And Knives
37) Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
38) Iron & Wine - Woman King EP
39) Prefuse 73 - Surrounded by Silence
40) The White Stripes, “Get Behind Me Satan”
41) Animal Collective - Feels
42) Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the illinoize
43) Clipse - We Got It 4 Cheap Vol. 2
44) sigur ros - takk
45) The Books - "Lost and Safe"
46) Devandra Banhart - Cripple Crow (XL)
47) Odd Nosdam - Burner
48) Slug & Murs Felt 2 - A Tribute To Lisa Bonet
49) Thrice - Vheissu
50) Protest the Hero Kezia
Music I feel I didn't give the Chance it needs:
The Boy Least likely To.. - To yOung to die
Antony & the JOhnsons - I am a bird now
Isolee - We are monster
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Okkeril River - Black Sheep Boy
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering
Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the illinoize
Animal Collective - Feels
Sons And Daughters - The Repulsion Box
Movies to come...
Friday, December 30, 2005
If you haven't seen the SNL sketch that this Slate article references, I highly suggest you check it out. It's pretty fucking funny. But to suggest, as the Slate article does, that it's the best chance to "save hiphop"is horribly wrong on multiple levels.
1) Does hiphop need saving? Anyone who thinks so is either so close-minded to warrant giving their opinion any importance, or hasn't listened to hiphop since the thugisation of the medium. Sure there's a lot of horrible rap out there, but there's good too, EVEN in the mainstream.
2) Goofy, beatie boys-biting white dudes rapping about silly things ain't gonna save hiphop, unless you think it needs saving from blackness, in which case I'm not sure what I can say to you.
3) The author clearly doesn't know much about hiphop if he thinks that there's little humour in hiphop, including the gangsta stuff. Check Paul Wall and Chamillionaire's mixtape "Get your mind Correct" for a great example.
The only reason the author thinks hiphop needs saving is because the artists he thinks are awesome (or were awesome) aren't being played on the radio like 50.
"The african medallions didn't sell platinum albums/ and that's the reason you think that hiphop died."
- Sage Francis
Friday, November 11, 2005
For nerds. Leia put me through puberty. None of these ladies bring back the tingle in my loins, sadly. But it's pretty funny.
Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Snoop Dogg gets his own line of hot dogs. They are called (I'm totally serious) Snoop Doggs. Is this a sign of the impending apocolypse? I think maybe.
The Last Time
The Man Himself
More Espn 2 goodness
Beer and Rap
Talking Points Memo
Elitist Indie Rockers
Radio Free Burnaby
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005 01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005 05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006 01/01/2011 - 02/01/2011